||• The position is responsible for developing and delivering successful Web-based applications, document production solutions, and coordinating and managing such deployments.
• The programmer analyst has responsibility for participating in the creation of business requirements and systems design documentation for small- to mid-scale system enhancement projects.
• The programmer analyst works in a highly collaborative project team environment that includes project and/or release managers, customer business analysts and end users, developers, database analysts, quality assurance testers and trainers.
• THE FOLLOWING ARE THE USUAL, BASIC AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
• THESE FUNCTIONS ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Define and/or verify system/programmatic requirements through the analysis of associated business processes, user requirements and operational policies
• Define, design, and implement complex, multi-tier distributed software applications; segment and design system layers to support componentized and layered application development, including user interface, business functionality, and database access
• Participate in discovery meetings with customer Business Analysts (BA’s) and representatives, and gather documentation related to business processes, functional requirements and workflows for mid- to large-scale system development projects.
• Research, design and develop Java-based applications and components
• Research and evaluate relevant technologies and presentation of alternative solutions
• Interface with other IT areas and business customers throughout the software development lifecycle
• Support our existing Java applications along with new development efforts as we continue our migration effort to Java / J2EE technologies
• Produce Technical Requirement and Design Documentation for new development efforts and system enhancement and maintenance efforts
• Develop, execute and review unit test plans and results
• Conduct and participate in regular code reviews
• Support quality assurance testers and performance testers by reviewing, analyzing, providing feedback and debugging for functional and non-functional test plans and scripts
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks, work in a collaborative team environment, understand and be responsive to project and customer needs, and work under tight deadlines
• Ability to provide assistance to team members in the design, development, and implementation of business solutions
• Ability to interface with other IT teams or business customers to provide technical expertise in both verbal and written form
• A solid understanding of UML
• Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of the software development lifecycle and the principles, concepts, and theories of software development techniques and systems design including object-oriented analysis and design
• Ability to recognize, analyze, and determine solution design alternatives and communicate the alternatives in both written and verbal form to peers and management
• Ability to take ownership and be proactive in problem resolution action to correct problem areas under tight project timelines and under critical production support situations
• Knowledge of Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) and web services and related technologies including Spring web services, SOAP, REST, XML, and XSLT
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related area OR 4 years relevant experience in a technical field OR a combination of education, training and experience in a technical field equivalent to 4 years of college
• 3 or more years experience working with J2EE architecture, J2EE patterns and the development of application frameworks
• Experience with system development methodologies, tools, and techniques
• Experience in property insurance document management system; designing (templates), developing, and testing document requirements across all insurance lines of business
• Experience skills in mailroom Intelligent Document Capture application systems
• Experience in programming – processing different types of incoming documents and automatically classifying, separating, sorting, and extracting data from documents in paper, fax and electronic formats
• Experience with Guidewire and Ephesoft applications and data structures
• Experience in Agile and Lean development methodologies
• Experience developing web applications for the insurance industry
• Property and Casualty insurance experience
• This position requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, hear and converse over the telephone, and key frequently on a computer (4 or more hours per day).