||• The position is responsible for developing and delivering successful Web-based applications, document production solutions, and coordinating and managing such deployments.
• The programmer analyst has responsibility for participating in the creation of business requirements and systems design documentation for small- to mid-scale system enhancement projects.
• The programmer analyst works in a highly collaborative project team environment that includes project and/or release managers, customer business analysts and end users, developers, database analysts, quality assurance testers and trainers.
THE FOLLOWING ARE THE USUAL, BASIC AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
THESE FUNCTIONS ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED.
• Model ethical behavior and execute job responsibilities in accordance with Client core values and ethics policies
• Participate in the programming and development of modules for corporate standards in Business Requirements Documents (BRDs) and Business Design Documents (BDDs)
• Work with unit BA to document customer requirements clearly using Word, Visio diagrams, flowcharts, use-cases and swim lane diagrams or other established tools and techniques
• Define and/or verify system/programmatic requirements through the analysis of associated business processes, user requirements and operational policies
• Define, design, and implement complex, multi-tier distributed software applications; Segment and design system layers to support componentized and layered application development, including user interface, business functionality, and database access
• Participate in discovery meetings with customer Business Analysts (BA’s) and representatives and gathers documentation related to business processes, functional requirements and workflows for mid- to large-scale system development projects.
• Research, design and develop Java-based applications and components
• Research and evaluate relevant technologies and presentation of alternative solutions
• Interface with other IT areas and business customers throughout the software development lifecycle
• Support our existing Java applications along with new development efforts as we continue our migration effort to Java / J2EE technologies
• Produce Technical Requirement and Design Documentation for new development efforts and system enhancement and maintenance efforts
• Develop, execute and review unit test plans and results; conduct and participate in regular code reviews
• Support quality assurance testers and performance testers by reviewing, analyzing, providing feedback and debugging for functional and non-functional test plans and scripts
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks, work in a collaborative team environment, understand and be responsive to project and customer needs, and work under tight deadlines
• Ability to provide assistance to team members in the design, development, and implementation of business solutions
• Ability to interface with other IT teams or business customers to provide technical expertise in both verbal and written form
• Working knowledge of UML.
• Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of the software development lifecycle and the principles, concepts, and theories of software development techniques and systems design including object-oriented analysis and design
• Ability to recognize, analyze, and determine solution design alternatives and communicate the alternatives in both written and verbal form to peers and management
• Ability to take ownership and be proactive in problem resolution action to correct problem areas under tight project timelines and under critical production support situations
• Knowledge of Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) and web services and related technologies including Spring web services, SOAP, REST, XML, and XSLT
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a technical field
• 3 or more years experience to include all of the following:
o J2EE architecture, J2EE patterns and the development of application framework
o industry standard development tools, preferably Rational Application Developer
o 1 or more years of document production or document management developer experience
• Experience with system development methodologies, tools, and techniques
• Experience in property insurance document management system, designing(templates), developing, and testing document requirements across all insurance lines of business
• Experience with Thunderhead Admin, Business Content Studio and Business Objects Studio
• Experience with Guidewire applications and data structures
• Experience in Agile and Lean development methodologies
• Experience developing web applications for the insurance industry
• Property & Casualty insurance experience
• This position requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, hear and converse over the telephone, and key frequently on a computer (4 or more hours per day).